11/25/09

Everyone Makes Mistakes?


I will make this short and to the point...I think. Like many of you, I watched the American Music Awards, and the "shocking" performance from Adam Lambert. I had kind of kept my musical distance from Adam's material, simply because I had been dealing with my own material & hadn't had time to keep a more keen ear out for new pop acts (plus I have a stigma about the 'American Idol' crowd. Sorry Anwar, LOL). But recently I got a listen to the title track from the album, written by in-demand pen Claude Kelly, and was thoroughly impressed. So it was kind of upsetting to see the over-the-top, admittedly risque show Adam put on to close out the AMA's.

What disturbed me more, though, was the widespread backlash and generally malignant reaction the following morning, including the Adam's performance/interview snub from Good Morning America. It seems that in the Western Hemisphere's gradual acceptance of art & culture, we tend to always take two steps forward and one big step back.

As I've noted on Twitter and Facebook, I hold no qualms in saying that Adam's performance was an unnecessary one, being that he is a genuinely talented man with alot to offer pop music. And from an artistic viewpoint, I feel that a solid band performance with less glitter-stoked sexuality would have opened up the doors much wider for him as opposed to hammering a hinge onto the hypothetical coffin so many artists seem to do on their first time out. Keep in mind I said just a hinge; I don't think that we've seen the last of Adam Lambert at all. In fact, because of all the hooplah, I can't help but desire to take his side, particularly after his interview on CBS's Early Morning show.

I feel what's important to note here is what so many of us have said before when it comes to mainstream music & its consumption: with this craft, for those of us who truly work at it and do it on a daily basis, we are seeking satisfaction in creating art that is to be respected and appreciated. But just because this is the case, it does not dictate that such appreciation was ever meant to be on a level that would be understood by everyone. Nor is it the intention of many of us to cater to a "light" or "Easygoing" audience. Some of us, yes, but many of us, not so. Like Adam put so succinctly: we're not "babysitters," we're performers.

It's always difficult for an artist to be cutting edge without overshooting that goal. But when it happens, if we respect the artist's work as a whole, it is an honorable and fitting thing to be able to let the artist fall down & get up, and be ready to help him/her when he/she is ready to come back on the scene. Such is the case with Adam. If you supported him before the AMA performance, then let him deal with the media fallout and just show him love & support till he can figure out what his next move is. I really do believe everyone deserves a 2nd chance, and if we can't give it to others, how can we expect anyone to give it to us?

Just a few thoughts...

0 comments: