1/22/16

#Justise4All No. 6 [Instagram Redux]

*NOTE: I have decided to take some of my earlier lengthy captions from my socially conscious Instagram postings, edit them, and repost them here. Original I/G captions will be replaced with hyperlinks to this blog, if by chance new followers come across them. Thank you for your continued support


On Dr. Martin Luther King and his Government-sanctioned assassination

Instagram Redux


Knowledge is pain, not power. Power lies in one's ability to overshadow that pain and use it to motivate oneself. Notice I didn't say for good or evil; that's based on the morals of the individual.

The powers that be understand the destructive consequences of the oppressed coming into the knowledge of a structure that is diametrically opposed to their success. That is why, for them, Martin HAD to die. In these United Stated, the FBI, CIA, COINTELPRO, Congress, the Senate, the Executive Branch, and our Federal Reserve all knew/know what could happen if those they had historically subjugated succeeded in a unification of purpose. Their predecessors saw it in the multiple slave rebellions. In the bloody conflicts with the indigenous.

What's worse, they themselves, as a system of oppression, saw it in the words and actions of Emma Goldman, of Eugene Debs, of Malcolm X, and this man. They saw it in the young Kennedys, Jack and Robert. That is why their names had to be smudged with controversy, their legacy covered up with money, their words bastardized, and the individuals themselves persecuted, incarcerated, or put to death.

But baby, we don't die. We multiply.

And yes, we are coming to get our check.



On Breezy Point 


I've been debating on whether or not to post this, but I realized that writing about these topics, for me, is like drawing out harmful toxins from an infected host; if I do not ask these questions or make these observations, they will eat away at me. And so, I pose them now, with an observation, to friends of mine from my hometown, Breezy Point, in a kind-of response to the vitriol I received over the past several years regarding my stance on social justice and race politics. You don’t have to answer me now, but instead of getting mad at me, take a few moments to yourself on your free time and consider the following:

What did you, I, or any of our friends do in our lifetime to deserve a life in a great, safe neighborhood community like Breezy Point? Please note, I’m not talking about your parents and their commitment to finding a good place to live, work, and raise you, I mean YOU. What did YOU do to deserve this? Or me, or anyone who grew up here?

Why does Breezy Point get to enjoy the safety and security of a location in NYC virtually free of violent crime or serious social upheaval? In other words, what is so different or superior about the people who live here than, for example, any other group of Irish/Italian Roman Catholics & Protestants living in this city? What about their financial, ethical, or moral behavior grants them the opportunity to settle in a place like this Co-Op?

Lastly, and this is the most important one: Knowing that our Cooperative began forming in the early 20th century, first as a Summer getaway town, then into a fully fledged private community with a self-sustaining population, officially establishing itself as a Co-Op circa 1960, do you think that people who looked like me, People of Color with similar moral views, financial stability, and a faith-based hardworking social network, would’ve actually been able to establish something identical or even similar to Breezy Point in this time frame? Keeping in mind that racial segregation in its purest form was still legally sanctioned by Municipal, State, and Federal legislation at this time? Do you think that it would’ve flourished in the same way? Or, as history points out, would it have been met with hostility, prejudice, and legal backlash (not that Breezy hasn’t had its generous share of legal issues, but for different reasons)?

As a reference to the last question, I urge you to look up the histories of Tulsa, Oklahoma, Seneca Village, Baltimore’s Housing Crisis, and the Yonkers segregation scandal of the 70’s and 80’s. If you’re serious about reprimanding me for my points of view, or really want to have a discussion, you’ll have to do some self-discovery to see where I’m coming from. Otherwise, with due respect,  if all you’re wanting to do is get angry for something I didn’t start or cultivate, then we agree to disagree and have nothing to discuss. It’s not my problem, but nothing about what I’ve said is based in lies or suggestions. And if this isn’t something you’d want to discuss with some modicum of objectivity, then let’s talk about something else.

0 comments: