9/9/10

Score one for the pudding


On my cyber-travels, I've come across alot of free advice as it pertains to the music business. I think all artists should take full advantage of the fact that while many folks in the industry are online simply to promote & talk about themselves, there are a healthy handful of creators and entertainers who are more than happy to relay some nuggets of wisdom to their supporters. Sometimes, though, I wonder about the value of this advice. This curiosity stems from two places: 1.) My understanding that everyone's path to success in the arts will be decidedly different, no matter the formulas that have been set before us, and 2.) My practically uncontrollable habit of taking all advice with several grains of salt. One such nugget in question was posted by an A-List creator, which said this:

"Kiss ass before you can kick ass. Be humble."

Now if we are to really lay that statement out on the operating table, it is short enough that it can be interpreted in a myriad of ways. And while I'm 85% in agreement with its meaning, the remaining 15% is glowing a hot neon red, which is why this new blog presented itself in my brain. A few weeks before this post, I did a video blog talking about my constant struggle with my own pride, a battle which still goes on today and will probably continue up and through my death; the ego is a damn good opponent when he wants to be. In this vlog, I explained how I am striving to be a more humble, appreciative, and respectful artist. Having experienced first-hand the bitter fruits of industry shade and silent blacklisting, as well as been the facilitator of that type of reprehensible behavior, I wanted to make a public apology and try to move on to better social interactions with fellow artists. The one thing I did say, however - and I stand by it still - is that I am NOT an advocate for ass-kissing, a statement upon which I can gladly elaborate.

In previous blogs I have talked about networking being the key factor in a successful business venture. For folks who might not know, that type of socio-commercial interaction requires a huge level of respect for (cue the trumpets here) PROTOCOL. I know I did a blog last year about being professional; it all ties in. I don't care who you think you are musically or otherwise, if you can't display a proper level of respect for your superiors, you can kiss any hope of a promotion or advancement in your field goodbye. Acting as if you have no one to answer to PROFESSIONALLY is 'un idea terrible.'

HOWEVER...you knew that was coming...I also understand that in a business as malleable and ever-fluid as the music industry, it can be difficult to determine who really is your superior. The titles given to people in corporate music often times don't carry the weight that people think they do, and folks are constantly going in or out of the proverbial revolving door. So what is an up-and-comer to do? Like I've said, simply keep a high level of professionalism in all your artistic and business ventures; this way, the consensus across the musical board will be that you know how to handle your shit without dropping the ball or coming out your face.

My guess is that you're asking, "But HOW does this all tie in with the ass-kissing issue you were talking about?" I'll tell you.

I do not advocate ass-kissing (or being a sycophant, as that is the proper term), because in my opinion this type of disposition simply shows that you are desperate for the attention of your artistic elders, or looking to get a leg up without the proper boost, as opposed to being a creative individual simply seeking to increase your network. You are also showing that your good-natured behavior is selective, thereby creating a social disconnect with others who may be interested in what you have to offer artistically or business-wise. Remember, this is a society of talkers. People WILL relay to other people about their experiences with you, if only to compare mental notes. At that point, if influential person A's experience with you was not as favorable as their friend, influential person B, you could in essence have ruined your chances of working with either of them in the future, and unfortunately this type of social report card gets passed around faster than a free music download from Lady Gaga.

Ultimately, love and respect are what the world needs, so why not present a small reflection of that in how you go about creating and promoting your music? Remember, that respect that you give to your peers or superiors should be the same respect you give yourself. If you're in this to win it, you have to treat yourself as the professional personnel you aspire to be. This idea links in with your creativity. It is the experienced opinion of this creator that the only two factions that need proof of your talent or skills are God and yourself. As I've tweeted, YES, the music industry is a show-and-prove game, but that really just pertains to whether or not you can hang business-wise; skills, talent, or chops only factor in once the foot is in the door, and that foot will have a better chance of keeping the door open if you do it with a smile & a handshake. You can certainly bust it open with a Glock, but there are alot of repercussions, sacrifice, and heartache that come with forcibly earning your place in a business such as this. For me, those sacrifices, artistic and otherwise, are not worth making. I love my music too much.

Hope yall marinate on that. Love is love...


P.

0 comments: