7/25/10

Un fait méconnu sur moi


I love the ability to express my traits in a way that is accessible to many people; it is so important to me as an artist & musician to have this freedom of expression so you, the faithful Pal, have a good idea of what goes on in this crazy brain of mine. As I've been working my way through my network of amazing creators & musicians, I've discovered something interesting and a bit troubling in their collaborations with me. It really came to light recently when I started working with several close colleagues of mine. It was their impression that it was 'beneath me' to want to sing or perform with other artists, due in part to the fact I have so much going on with my own project and co-productions in place, but mainly because I've evidently been giving off an air of extreme self-reliance in music & art. This air is the troubling part of the previous musings; therefore, let me once again state my feelings on working with others, specifically as it pertains to vocal work.

First, I L.O.V.E. singing. As I stated before in blogs prior, of the several gifts with which I've been blessed, singing & performing is at the top of the list. If I could do nothing else artistically or creatively, I would still be satisfied so long as I could open my mouth and have beautiful sounds come out; it's why I try to take the best possible care of my voice and encourage all other vocalists to do the same. I love singing, I love hearing other talented singers, and I love hearing new voices as well as new songs for those voices. Just wanted to state that.

Secondly, I REALLY, REALLY LOVE to sing with other people. Whether it be a duet, a background vocal, a chorus, an "ooh" or an "aah," it's always great to sing alongside folks. I've found (as I'm sure many vocalists have) that collective vocalizing carries its own specific & special energy. My High School teacher & composer, Jerry Ulrich (amazing musician, FYI; he's now at Georgia Tech teaching), would always quote, "singing is one of the most intimate things two people can do with each other." I couldn't agree more, and I think it is essential that ANY solo artist venture into some form of collaborative or ensemble singing as part of their development and musical growth.

Having typed that, let me state again that so long as the people I work with are focused, talented, and respect my time & education, I have NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER singing with/for you. If you need a background vocalist, I got you. If you're looking for someone to help with your vocal arrangements for a live show, I'm definitely down to do that. And of course, if you're interested in doing some duet work for your upcoming performances, just let me know! I state again that all I ask is for you to keep a good schedule & be a good singer; we can take the rest from that point. Believe me, those requirements alone help to eliminate alot of people, heheheh...

Thanks always for hitting up my blog-thoughts, feel free to comment, and if you'd like to hit me up, you already know I'm a tweet-head for real!

http://twitter.com/pmurraymusic

LATAZ!

0 comments: